ISOpods: Inquiry-based Science Outreach Pods
Hands-on, active learning modules for teaching marine science in K-12 classrooms
What are “Pods?”
Pods are kits of supplies for activities that:
- Are aligned with Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards.
- Can be implemented by K-12 educators or facilitated by scientists from Bodega Marine Laboratory.
- Explore a variety of topics in marine biology, geology, and environmental studies.
What’s in a Pod?
- Materials for conducting classroom and/or field investigations
- Assessment tools to gauge student learning
- Instructions for teachers
- Digital resources, including PowerPoints and links to online supplemental information
What is an isopod? Click here to find out!
ISOpods in development:
- Abalone Ecology
- Isopods in your backyard
- Plankton Races
- Marine Debris: Investigating albatross boluses*
- Coastal Cleanup*
- Exploring Sand
- Dynamic Ocean: Circulation and upwelling
- Oil spill cleanup and uses for nanotechnology
*Some ISOpods materials are based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation Graduate STEM Fellows in K-12 Education Fellowship Program under DGE Grant No. 0841297 to S.L. Williams and B. Ludaescher. Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation (NSF).