Refer to ABCs of California Boating Law by CA Dept of Boating & Waterways
Motorboats operating in coastal waters shall carry at least the following equipment:
- One VHF radio.
- Class I, II, III or V PFD for each person on board, plus one ‘throwable’ class IV.
- Anchor and anchor line.
- Oars, or paddles.
- At least 3 day & night USCG approved signal devices.
- Emergency repair kit and tools.
- Fire extinguisher on motorboats with open space under decking.
- Horn or other signaling device capable of being heard over one half mile.
- First aid kit. If diving, an oxygen unit.
- A cellular telephone and/or BML’s satellite phone
- Drinking water
- Spare fuel
- Sea anchor
- Boat hook
- Dock lines