Resources for Visiting Researchers

Planning Fieldwork at BML/BMR:

Reserve Use Application

You must apply to use the Bodega Marine Reserve and adjacent areas before you begin your research or instruction.

Lab Space and Support

  • If your research requires Lab space, you will need to complete an application through the Reservation & Application System.
  • Arrangements can be made for desk, bench or general work space through Kitty Brown, 707-875-2006.
  • The Cadet Hand Library is available to all authorized Reserve users. For specific questions regarding the library contact the Librarian.

Information Technology

For information regarding network services and computer support for visiting researchers, see BML Computing Resources for Visiting Researchers.


Housing at BML requires an online application and reservation. BML housing can fill up quickly so reservations should be made early, particularly for the summer field season.

A variety of housing arrangements are available at BML, see BML Housing Information. For more information contact Jennifer Sauter, (707) 875-1955.

Local rental information can be found at Craigslist.


  • CDFW Collecting permit
    • The California Department of Fish and Wildlife requires a scientific collecting permit for collecting most organisms in California. These permits can take 6 months or longer to process, so submit early.
  • National Marine Sanctuary permits
    • Permits are required to conduct research within the Greater Farallones National Marine Sanctuary, including the placement of temporary moorings. To find out if your study site falls within these boundaries (includes Bodega Bay) see the Sanctuary map. See National Marine Sanctuaries for permit information.
  • Deploying Buoys or Structures in navigable waters require an update to the US Coast Guard Local Notice to Mariners system.
    • You will need to post a notice to mariners if you plan to deploy any structure in waters where vessels navigate (which includes flat intertidal areas). This can be done by contacting the Boating Safety Officer. Please be prepared with a detailed description, photograph, and provide a precise latitude and longitude along with a geographical description for the area.
  • Federal and state park permits
    • You will also need a research permit to work in any of the state and federal parks in the Bodega Bay area. Contact Brendan O’Neil at California State Parks, 707-865-3129, for an application to work in local state parks. To apply to work in Point Reyes National Seashore, contact Ben Becker, 415-464-5247.


Special diving status is required to use scuba under UC auspices:

  • Letter of reciprocity from home campus diving officer
  • Regular certification
  • Records of 12 open-water dives
  • Dive medical exam
  • Current first aid, CPR and Oxygen administration
  • Check-out dive with Diving Safety Officer, Jason Herum
  • The Diving Control Board must approve any research project requiring scientific diving

Also see:

Contact Diving Safety Officer Jason Herum well in advance of planned diving activity.


Training is required to operate BML motorized boats, and a running-time fee is charged. Operators are available but require an additional hourly fee.


Greenhouse Use

Greenhouses are available to support field experiments or for greenhouse experiments. Contact the Reserve Research Coordinator to inquire about space.

Animal Care

  • If your research involves vertebrate animals, you will need an Animal Use and Care permit from the UCD campus.
  • If you plan to keep plants or animals in BML tanks you should consult with the BML Aquatic Resources Group (ARG) to acquire aquarium space. There is no charge for graduate students to use a reasonable amount of space, and collecting, extra care, or specialized feeding can be provided at an hourly rate.
  • Basic life support and feeding arrangements should be made in advance so that specimens do not suffer from neglect.

Consulting with ARG about your project will help you in the planning phase and in determining how to budget for research expenses.

Contact Aquatic Resources Group, 707-875-1978.