UC Davis Diver Training Series, Summer 2021
The UC Davis Scientific Diver Certification Course trains staff and evaluates their readiness to use scuba under the auspices of UC Davis. This is accomplished through lectures, workshops, field exercises, and in-water development and evaluation of breath-hold diving and scuba diving skills. The UC Davis Scientific Diver Certification Course is an intensive program that requires significant preparation prior to attendance.
Scuba divers involved in subtidal research and/or training programs through an educational institution, such as UC Davis, are exempted from the Federal OSHA regulations concerning commercial diving if they have passed an approved training program. (Among other requirements). This course meets those requirements and those of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences (AAUS). UC Davis Research Diving Course will concentrate on diving safety and planning. There will be further development of scuba skills, diving related physics, physiology, dive planning, search and recovery, accident management and diver rescue. Certifications for NAUI Scuba Rescue Diver, DAN First Aid for Professional Divers, and AAUS Scientific Diver will be earned.
This course trains divers in the knowledge and skills needed to manage risks and effectively handle limited in-water problems and diving emergencies. Included are: Diving 1st Aid, O2 for diving emergencies, AED’s, assists, transports, surface rescues and rescues from depth involving both boat and shore based skin and scuba divers.
Along with more development of theory and techniques related to diving, this course will provide lectures and practical application of advanced diving techniques and how to use these diving skills in a subtidal research project will be discussed and practiced.
UC Davis Research Dive Course, Summer 2021
The UC Davis Research Diver Training Course is designed for Researchers, Staff, and Students to meet training standards for the American Academy of Underwater Sciences (AAUS).
Session 1: at BML for pool, classroom, and ocean training
Session 2: Ocean Checkout Dives (Camping at the Sonoma Coast)
- Basic scuba certification
- 12 logged openwater dives ( *4 cold water dives)
- Complete the UCD Webdiver application
All required equipment (see list below)
- Regulator and BC serviced within 12 months
- "Scientific Diver" medical clearance
- DAN (or other) Diving Insurance covering hyperbaric treatment
- Pass pool and ocean swim/scuba skills tests.
- Regulator with alternate or redundant air source. (Divers must show proof of regulator service or purchase in the previous 12 months)
- Gauges (depth, time keeping, compass, cylinder pressure)
- BCD with auto inflator compatible with the regulator
- Full exposure suit (7mm with gloves, hood, and booties)
- Small U/W slate
- Knife or other cutting device
- Ocean weight belt (integrated weights ok, but also need weight belt)
- Underwater Flashlight (backup recommended)
Couse is limited to 8 students maximum (Priority is given to UC Davis Staff and Graduate Students)
Course fee is: $600.00 UC (includes instructor-supplied texts, materials & certifications). *Does not include housing and meals
*All training rates are subject to a Non-University Differential (NUD) assessment for non-University of California clients.
- Basic/Openwater Scuba Instruction (links)
- Diving First Aid for Professional Divers
- UC Davis Boating Courses
Jason S. Herum, Diving Safety Officer
PO Box 247 (USPS)
2099 Westshore Rd. (UPS/FedEx)
Bodega Bay, CA 94923
Ph (707) 875-2032 office
Fax (707) 875-2009 fax