We welcome our academic colleagues and visitors and wish you a productive time at BML.
Please note that visiting researchers must generally complete a BML/BMR Use Application.
This page outlines the Information Technology policies and support available to BML Visiting Researchers. Additional descriptions of Information Technology at BML can be found in the IT Service Level Agreement.
Your responsibility as a BML network user
Users must confirm that their computers meet the computer security requirements and have antivirus software, up-to-date virus definitions and appropriate security patches for your operating system. If you cannot confirm this yourself, please contact BML IT, we can attempt to advise you. More information on acceptable vs unauthorized network use.
Wireless access is provided inside the BML enclave and at BML Housing. In some locations on the Bodega Marine Reserve very close to the enclave, you may obtain a serviceable wireless signal, however we do not guarantee wireless access outside the enclave or on the Bodega Marine Reserve.
Ethernet access is available in select locations, by request.
Questions regarding network services should be directed to BML IT.
Wireless at BML
Wireless at Housing
Note: Individual experience/performance of Housing internet service will be affected by the availability of existing bandwidth, particularly during peak occupancy/peak usage times. If you have critical business to conduct that is dependent on a solid network connection, your best option is to go to BML and conduct your work from there, where the bandwidth is better and the wireless network is well distributed throughout most of the lab.
Housing network problems should be addressed to email@example.com.
During the months of peak occupancy, between June and October (6/15-10/1), network or wireless access problems will be considered P3 and will be addressed as soon as possible, during the resumption of business hours M-F 8AM-5PM, or as IT personnel are available during off hours.
During the months of lower occupancy, between October and June (10/2-6/14), network or wireless access problems at housing will be considered P4 and will be addressed within ~24 hours, as personnel are available, during business hours M-F 8AM-5PM.
“Bandwidth” refers to the size and speed of the connection between the internet and Bodega Marine Laboratory. This bandwidth is used to send (upload) information from your computer or to receive (download) information to your computer.
While every network device has its own connection, each device must share bandwidth with the entire facility. This means that individual user activity can potentially affect the performance and quality of the network by using a disproportionate amount of the available bandwidth.
While using the Laboratory network, we ask that you refrain from discretionary high bandwidth activities such as streaming video, multiplayer gaming, peer-to-peer file sharing, large data downloads, or syncing large volumes of data to cloud services during business hours, 8 AM to 5 PM.
IT is committed to providing the necessary bandwidth to carry out the education, research and public service missions of BML. IT reserves the right to temporarily terminate a network connection in cases where an individual's activity degrades network performance. If we notice what we consider overuse or excessive activity, we will attempt to identify the source and speak to the individual. If we cannot ID the source of the traffic we may temporarily disconnect the source computer from the network.
If you have a requirement for a high bandwidth activity, please communicate with us; this is the only way to ensure that your network service will remain uninterrupted.
Visiting Researchers who intend to use the BML network to routinely transmit data they're collecting on site should contact BML IT with the following information:
- A description of your activity, your affiliation, and duration of project at BML.
- An approximation of how much data you expect to transmit and the interval of transmission (seconds, minutes, hourly, daily, etc).
- Egress (outgoing) transmission port information.
UC Davis Accounts
Visiting researchers who have a need to access UCD services may request a UCD Temporary Computing Account through their BML sponsor to be used for the duration of their term at BML.
There are several shared printers available for BML network users:
- More information on printing services
- Instructions to add BML network printers to a Mac
- Instructions to add BML network printers to a PC
Access to Computers
In general visiting researchers are expected to provide their own computers.
The computer lab has 8 PCs networked with access to the internet and the BML LAN - these PCs have many common software applications installed, including Microsoft Office Suite, Acrobat Reader, several statistics packages, etc.
- You may use the "clab" login when working in the computer lab. Do not save work on the computer lab PCs, instead save your work to removable media or cloud service.
- Remember that the computer lab is a common use area, use the resources and the space mindfully with respect for fellow users.
- Please notify BML IT if you encounter any problems with the computer lab machines or need other assistance with hardware or software.
Hardware and Software Support
Visiting researcher owned equipment is supported only to the extent of connecting it to the BML network. This support may include assistance in assuring that the network interface is correctly configured to properly function on the network. It is the user's responsibility to ensure that the operating system software is functioning properly and that the computer is free of viruses or malware. If necessary, visiting researchers may schedule a time with BML IT for assistance with networking.
Visiting researchers and any Non-University owned computers are supported as "Networked Only". IT cannot provide any other type of support for visiting researcher's hardware, whether a computer, a microscope, or other lab equipment. Hardware in this category is not eligible for University licensed software.
Presentation rooms are available by reservation. See the BML Front Office for assistance reserving a room.
- Conference Room - 75" 4K screen (Mini DP, HDMI inputs), audio, mid-sized screen. Conference room users must provide their own laptop and any necessary display adapters. Room seats ~20 people.
- Lecture Hall - Projector (Mini DP, HDMI, and VGA inputs), audio, blu-ray player, and large screen. A laptop PC is available for presentations in the lecture hall, or you may bring your own laptop. Room seats ~120 people.
- South Wing Lounge - Projector and 70" 4K screen (Mini DP, HDMI inputs). Lounge users must provide their own laptop and any necessary display adapters. Room seats up to 45 people.
- Public Education Room - Projector (VGA input only), mid-sized screen, blu-ray player, audio, users bring their own laptop and any necessary display adapters. Room seats up to 40 people.
- Housing - Tokau, Miwok, Oolok and the Dining Hall have flat screen TVs. The Dining Hall has a podium and HDMI hand-off for presentations.
All projectors support 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios.
Many of the meeting resources at BML must be signed out in advance, see the BML front office for assistance reserving the meeting spaces.
The AV equipment in the meeting rooms is designed to be simple to use. The Lecture Hall has detailed instructions. IT staff can be scheduled to assist with audio visual (AV) set up, training or support. Be sure to return the equipment to the state in which you found it, and turn off the projector/screens when you are done.
- Be sure to give yourself enough time to set up and prepare before a presentation or web conference.
- If you are unfamiliar with using the AV equipment please ask for assistance.
- Be sure to return A/V equipment to the state in which you found it and turn off the projector when you are done.
Email Distribution Lists
There are several email distribution lists for announcements of general interest to BML and CMSI. Please complete this form so we can add you to the appropriate BML and CMSI mail lists. You will receive confirmation of your subscription request within 5 days.