BML and CMSI email distribution lists
These lists include:
- email@example.com - Public mail list that anyone can subscribe to for event and seminar announcements hosted at BML. The BML-residents lists is included in this list.
- firstname.lastname@example.org - This is a broad reaching list for internal announcements and includes the BML-residents, bmlgrads, and bmlsummer lists, PLUS many UCD faculty, and more, beyond California.
- email@example.com - This list is for everyone who is a resident at BML on a daily basis: all BML undergraduate and graduate students, post docs, faculty, staff, short or long-term resident researchers, volunteers and docents. This list is intended for internal announcements for example "Seawater system..." or "Seeking a ride to Davis...".
- firstname.lastname@example.org - This list is for BML summer students, instructors and associates, for everything summer class related, and is included in the BML-residents list.
- email@example.com - This list is for all BML graduate students and postdocs and is included in the BML-residents and cmsiucdgradstudents lists.
- firstname.lastname@example.org - Public mail list that anyone can subscribe to for newsletters, workshops, symposia, fellowship announcements, etc.
- email@example.com - This is a broad reaching list for internal announcements, and includes all CMSI affiliated faculty, staff, post docs, students and the BML-residents list.
- firstname.lastname@example.org - This list is for sharing meeting announcements, marine-related funding sources, CMSI social events and updates, ride share and couch surfing opportunities. This list includes graduate students and postdocs at BML and CMSI.
- Only administrators can send to the public lists (email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org). For all of the other lists, you must be a member of the list to send and receive announcements.
- There are many more BML email distribution lists. If you need to be added to one of these lists, please contact BML IT - if we manage the list we can add you, otherwise we can direct you to the person who can add you.
To subscribe to a list
Send an email to email@example.com from the address you want to subscribe to the list. (Sympa is not a person but a mailing list management robot.)
In the subject line of your message, type in: subscribe nameofthelist Firstname Lastname (replace 'nameofthelist' with the name of the list you want to subscribe to and indicate your own first and last name).
- Leave the message body blank and send.
After this, you will receive a message telling you whether your request was accepted or not: If the subscription to the list is subject to any approval, the list owner may choose not to subscribe you. If so, do not send several other requests as the result will remain the same. You may send a message directly to the list owner (firstname.lastname@example.org) to explain why you really want to subscribe to the list...
Note: You will sometimes be asked to confirm your subscription request before it can be processed. If so, please follow the instructions listed in the message you receive.
Unsubscribing from lists
To unsubscribe from a list, do as follows:
From the address with which you subscribed to the list, send an email message to email@example.com.
- In the subject line of your email, type in: unsubscribe nameofthelist (replace 'nameofthelist' with the name of the list you want to unsubscribe from).
- Leave the message body blank.
Creating an Email Distribution List
UC Davis provides a central email list service, Sympa, which is supported by UCD IT Express. An Email distribution list is useful when you need one address that can serve as a contact for a group or project, or to distribute email to a group of people.
Any UC Davis affiliate with a UCD Kerberos account, including staff, faculty and students, can create mail lists through the UCD Sympa website.
You can create open lists that anyone can send messages to or closed lists which only subscribers can send to. Subscribers may include off-campus mail addresses.
For additional information on how to manage your UC Davis mail lists & subscriptions please see the UC Davis mail list subscriber instructions.